Thursday, April 21, 2011

Into the heart of Bavaria...

A few things worth noting...

I'm now in Munich...home to Oktoberfest, BMW, lederhosen, and most importantly....weissbier (white (wheat) beer), drink of the Gods. I could drink more weissbier than I think Bavaria has produced in all of its ancient history, before losing my taste for the stuff. I could (and still might!) start to drink it alongside every meal of the day. Not only would that be outstanding training for Green Key, but legend has it that a month on weissbier alone aka "the weissbier diet," Supersize Me" style, will have people on the sidewalk mistaking you for Hercules before long. Get some...

Along with a lot of delicious beer, I've also been enjoying a balanced protein in-take. At least 3-4 healthy, adult (they must have been) bugs found there way past my cracked visor and into my mouth today on the autobahn. The ones that didn't land in my mouth splattered against my visor in what looked like tiny paintball splatters...bright. yellow. paint. balls. Pictures of that are on tap for tomorrow....

ALSO...just passed the 2,000 km mark! For all you western folk, that puts me just shy of 1,300 miles...

Back to business... I woke up in Regensburg this morning and after a quick meal, a short stroll, and a few photos, took off for Munich by way of Walhalla. "Valhalla," in Norse mythology, was the place where soldiers who had died heroically in battle were taken after death...comparable to the "Fields of Elysium" I think in Greek/Roman mytholgy...ya know? Like in "Gladiator"...? Anywho, the Walhalla in Germany is a massive temple dedicated to the best and brightest in German history. Those who reached the pinnacle of their respective fields or who did some great deed for Germany. Notable busts include the Ludwig Kings, Beethoven, Otto von Bismarck, and Einstein...very cool, very random, enjoy the photos...

I have arrived in Munich but have yet to bust out my camera. Will leave "HER" unsaddled and sitting in the garage and take the Bavarian capital by foot. Wish me luck. I've heard that the cobblestone streets take no prisoners....


 Street in Regensburg...you can just barely see the massive 
David vs. Goliath mural on the building to the left

 Outdoor cafes starting to open on an amazing day...75 and sunny

 Walhalla...looking from rear to front, out over the Danube and distant fields

 Looking through the western colonnade

View from down below, on the banks of the Danube


Schedule:
Munich for two days before heading further south through Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment