Thursday, May 12, 2011

Paris, Kapoor, Luxembourg...

So I spent the majority of the day in Paris where I had decided to stick around for an extra 24 hours. Getting a little bit lost with Kevin on one of our last days eventually put us in front of the Grand Palais of the Champs d'Elysee where a massive sign reading "MONUMENTA" caught our attention...good thing. Anish Kapoor, global star in the world of sculpture, was invited to fill the massive nave of the Palais with an original sculpture. The 4th edition, this event is apparently a big deal and lucky for me, today was the opening. I also had the chance to listen to the exhibition's curator while he gave a few short and informal interviews about the project. Important paraphrases; "'Leviathan [name of sculpture] brings us into a dark place that we all know very well...maybe reminiscent of a womb, a place of creation or fertility, a Venus. Or maybe a place more cryptic..." and on he went. Too much for me to remember or accurately report, but that at least helped shape my understanding of it, and hopefully gets you interested. The sculpture was a massive inflation, literally....Pics below.

My ensuing ride to Luxembourg was a West-to-East one so the only amuse-yeux moments happened in my side mirrors. That said, a quick stop for gasoline had me wandering through part of the Ardenne Forest on the French/Belgian border before finding the pump. Two small towns, both crowned by castles on overlooking cliffs, were a few of the gems that I found on that adventure...

Arrived here in Luxembourg at about 9:30, set up shop, and have headed out to grab a bite.

ONE MORE RIDE! I can't believe it. So bummed that it's already coming to a close...

Enjoy the shots...

Centre Pompidou 
A leftover from two nights ago in Paris...

Kapoor's "Leviathan" inside the Grand Palais

Inside...was very strange. Quiet, glowing, and pressurized

 
 An admirer

 Passing through the eastern French countryside, approaching Belgium 

Bouillon, Belgium
"Oh, hi castle perched up on the cliff, didn't see ya there..."

The Ardenne Forest in profile

One of my favorite "places" on this trip...
A perch in the middle of the city, looking down on the gorge running through Luxembourg.
No tourists, no problems...


SCHEDULE:
Returning to Germany, right meow!

No comments:

Post a Comment