Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Avignon to Genève to nowhere soon...

A quick update for those of you who read this just to make sure I'm still alive. Don't want you fretting over your lunch....

I left Avignon and arrived in Genève last night after a long, but enjoyable ride through France's wine country (am still taking orders if you want a bottle...I charge a 50 Euro carriers fee + a glass upon opening).  The only issue on the ride was about an hours worth of harassment from the wind. Ripping along the highway in gusty weather with no windshield and no doors is comparable, I imagine, to an annoying younger sibilng (I "imagine" because I was that younger sibling), poking and prodding  until you just about lose it.  That was the first hour of the trip...the wind poking and prodding, jostling my bike around until I had just about lost it. Younger siblings are tangible, or rather, hittable...and they usually get the picture after a swift smack, no? I think I did anyway. But the wind is a trickier foe. So I bit the bullet, kept on riding, and eventually found smoother sailing. Swiss Alps loomed in the east, over my right handlebar, for most of the trip and I finally found myself looking out over Lac Lemar and downtown Geneva. Not a whole lot of character here from what I've seen (no offense to any of the yodeling Swiss that might be reading this...), although it's not an easy task standing up to some of the European heavyweights I've seen on this trip. That said, it is physically attractive and it is 80 degrees and sunny and it is on the edge of a massive, beautiful lake. So it is bearable, to say the least.

After a quick ride around the town, I retired to my campsite for the night eager to get up and check out the city in the morning. (Quick background....I've been planning on making it to Paris by tomorrow night where I'm meeting two people; best bud Kevin McCarthy from college and old friend Serena Wolf from high school. I told Serena that I'd be in town, "barring any motorcycle issues..." by Thursday night...same words I used when relating my travel plans to friend Julia before my arrival (*my delayed arrival) in Milan. Same words, same terrible consequence...) I woke up this morning with a flat tire. Awesome. After visiting three different mechanics and polishing up my French, I finally found a guy who could have it fixed by tomorrow, for a fat wad of Euros. Also awesome. Soooo, stuck in Geneva for the day/night with no easy means of transport. Pain in the arse!

That's my update. Send me suggestions on how to fill my time in this city if you know it well. Jan and H, I'm looking at you...

-Guten walking

(no pics right now cause I've temporarily misplaced the cord for my camera...will follow later)

1 comment:

  1. Petey!

    Buy yourself a couple beers and sit in the grass by the lake on the promenade at sunset. This is awesome, especially if its warm out and the weather is good! Be sure to check out the old town if you have time as well.

    Good luck with the repairs and the rest of the trip, and thanks for the update!

    -Jan

    ReplyDelete