Thursday, May 5, 2011

Hypocrite? Indian-giver? What's the word.....?

Alright, so maybe I screwed the pooch earlier with my semi-condemnation of Geneva. Turns out that being stranded in this little city for the day might have actually been a stroke of good luck.

After a morning spent in the nearby 'burbs fixing up m'lady, I found my way back to the city center where a couple of hours on a lakeside dock had me further rosifying my already burned cheeks and taking a few minutes to continue "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" (which just keeps getting better...). Per a suggestion from Jan "DJ Swizz" Gromadzki (trusted Swiss native and good buddy from school) I took a stroll along the lake around sunset and got a good feel for the city during its first hour or two of post-work buzz. Bewitching hour, no? The weather was perfect and everyone was out. What looked like an impromptu lakeside party had me wishing that I knew some of the people and could join in on the good time being had. I did take a few minutes for myself here to enjoy the sites while munching my own gourmet European snack...nutella on a baguette, ha! Totally does the trick...

A quick visit to an architectural landmark (Ugo Brunoni's "Eglise Catholique Romane") raised my spirits (and Geneva's street cred) further. Dinner followed, at a cool  little restaurant in the old section of town up on the hill ("Le Crise,"Jan, you know it?). I spent well beyond my means but had an amazing amazing, amazing meal...little house salad action, bottle of red wine, and an entree of beef with a truffle oil sauce (or something like that...). The gourmandes in my life reading this should be jealous. What's more, the two women next to me (a pair of sweethearts) were decent enough to entertain a small conversation. In fact, small tangent here, on eo fhte benefits of traveling alone and eating at small restaurants by yourself is that you're always something of a spectacle. Conversation often times starts up with the people around you simply, I think, cause they want to know what's wrong with you!...why no one agreed to come eat with you! But anyway, back on track, one of the girls was apparently a wine lover and offered me a few must-visit vineyards on today's journey to Paris. Sadly, dinner came to an end and I headed back to that humble abode...my tent.

Still in Geneva now, about to head over and pick up the bike...

PHOTOS, finally. First some oldies from Avignon...

 The Pont Saint-Bénezet (or Pont d'Avignon)...bridge to nowhere

Another shot of the Palais des Papes

Geneva...I misjudged

Night time arrival...that'll do sunset, that'll do

Crowd, just out of work, enjoying drinks by the lake

Pete, just out of luck, enjoying a nutella baguette by the lake

Brunoni's funky li'l church. Unfortunately, it was all locked up and I didn't get to see inside...

Ahhh....blurry, but you get the idea. So good!



Schedule:
Paris tonight to meet up with Serena and then spend 4 days with ma boy Kev

No comments:

Post a Comment