Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The 4th pilgrim...

Back in January I had a weekend off and visited an old friend in London. While there, I went to the Design Museum and saw an exhibit on John Pawson, a British architect, and his fairly recent renovation/design of a monastery in Bohemia, western Czech Republic. As it worked out, after visiting Prague this past weekend and continuing on towards Regensburg, I would passing within one hour of this monastery. So, long story longer, I sent the monks an email inquiring about a visit. In return, I got an offer to spend the night in their guesthouse...sweeeet.

So after departing Prague yesterday afternoon, I set out for Novy Dvur Monastery, just south of Touzim in the farm lands of western Czech Republic. I arrived and was greeted by 3 other men who were on their own respective pilgrimages to the monastery, which has become a real star of Catholicism in the Czech Republic since it was opened in 2004. One Frenchman (the shorter twin of Ratatouille's "Anton Ego") and two Czechs...the ensuing 24 hours, which included 3 services in the church, 3 meals eaten in silence, and a feeling of general isolation from the outside world, were amazing.

Photos to help explain...

On my way to the Monastery...a shot of the countryside alongside the highway

 The interior of the guest house...my room was the second on the left

My digs...no internet, no cell phone service. A crucifix, a bible, and the Monastic schedule....

Exterior of the Church...

Interior (not my photo...I wasn't allowed to shoot inside)
Awesome though, no?

After 7 a.m. Mass...a view from the guesthouse

Back to Germany! To Bavaria! Regensberg!

Evening arrival in Regensberg...doesn't get much better

What we all should be doing on days like this...
Enjoying the weather on the riverbank with beers and friends


Schedule:
Leaving Regensberg tomorrow afternoon for 2 days in Munich...

No comments:

Post a Comment