Thursday, April 14, 2011

En route to Berlin...

So most of the roads that I have been using in my recent travels are classified either A or B....for example, "the A2" or the "B505". "A" roads = Autobahn, and they are full of "pushers," my less-than-affectionate name for 18-wheelers whose excessive bulk is responsible for pushing tidal waves of air into neighboring lanes. At 80 mph, on two wheels and with no floor board between myself and the concrete, passing one of them can be a little scary...a tad bit terrifying. These "pushers," along with the general attitude of highway driving in Germany (speed, speed, speed) should be enough to understand why "big roads" are to be avoided on this trip...

Instead, I ride the "B's"...and they are unbelievable. Two-lane roads that meander through the German countryside, usually sporting "no speed limit" signs, amazing views of the rolling landscape, and brief tours through picturesque villages. I think these roads must have been designed by the same guys who work for the big German automakers. They just make sense...there for the sake of enjoying the ride. Dad, wipe that drool off your chin right now....

So to take full advantage of this guten ride (and for the sake of making it to Berlin before midnight!), I didn't take too many photo-breaks on today's 300 km journey. I did make a couple of exceptions, however, and hope you can enjoy them as well as if you'd been on the bike with me...


Heavenly!

I stumbled upon the tiny town of Wöbbelin, where a WWII memorial (pictured in front of the big, white building) is dedicated to the lives lost at the Wöbbelin concentration camp.

Views that demanded some extra attention...

 One side of the square in Wöbbelin. I felt like I had ridden right into 1935...

 Giant windmill farms make you feel tiny! Notice the telephone poles...

And lastly, my first food shot! Some good eatin' in Hamburg, 
before I hit the road. Potato soup with sausage and a coffee.


Schedule:
Berlin for the next two days, followed by a brief stay in Dresden!

2 comments:

  1. uncle! beautiful photos and so glad to have the daily information....you are in our thoughts every single day and we love you. be safe and stay away from the pushers...i don't like the sound of those :( my heart is exploding with joy for you, brother!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! I love the food shot...yum. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete