Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Beer In the Basement of the Bauhaus???

Sorry to disappoint you faithful followers with my non-post last night. I'm making up for it today with a double whammy. #2 to come later...

<><><><>

Yesterday, en route to Dresden, there were two places that I wanted to stop. "Einstein's Tower" in Potsdam & and the Bauhaus in Dessau. A straight shot from Berlin to Dresden is about 2 hours. My intended route made it 4...

Sometimes, you're just not sure if the reward is worth the risk, right? Not sure if that jacket you really want is worth the extra money, or if that last drink will actually improve your night. Or, for the sake of "Guten Riding," if Potsdam & Dessau are worth the extra two hours of night-time riding...cold weather, dark and lonely (though awesome) roads.

And then, on the flipside, there's that feeling of righteousness...of relief and fleeting self-doubt. You know what I'm talking about? When you realize the reward was fully worth the risk...
That's where I was at 11 last night...that second feeling. Sitting in the basement of the Bauhaus on a Friday night in April, in Germany, riding solo. Drinking a beer in the belly of one of architecture's most admired and beloved buildings, I was feeling good...

<><><><>

Notes from the day:

I spent the first 8 hours of the day in Berlin because that city is awesome and deserves far more than just a 36 hour visit...highly recommended!

At about 10:30 last night, riding through Leipzig, I passed alongside the airport just as two massive jets were taking off. "Highway to the Danger Zone" immediately kicked in, and I threw a fist pump at the airliner....eat your heart out, Tom Cruise.

Lastly, I've got terrible allergies right now, terrible. And when you can't access your eyes/nose because you're wearing a helmet, you gotta just take the pain (of a runny nose) like a man. Or in my case, like a 2nd grader....and recycle that action from nose to mouth!

<><><><>

Pics from Berlin and Dessau...


 
Brandenburg Gate in all its deserved glory!


In the Neue Nationalgalerie, a combo installation by Frank Stella and Santiago Calatrava.

 
Also in the Neue Nationalgalerie in Berlin.
The sculpture might not do it for you, but I liked this photo...

Jewish Museum, Berlin

 Bau-hizzy...late but not too late.

A beer in the basement!


Schedule:
In Dresden, about to leave for 2 days Prague. Will post upon my arrival there!

No comments:

Post a Comment